Spring Blooms

March 19, 2014

wildflowers

Spring at Phoenix’s Desert Botanical Garden

Spring officially starts this week. For much of Canada and the United States, this has been a bitter winter, filled with snow, ice, and extreme cold. Spring may still seem remote for some, but signs of spring are evident in the Phoenix valley area of Arizona.

Lack of significant rainfall over the winter means fewer wildflowers will bloom in natural desert areas. In spite of that, there is plenty of colour to be found in the flowers and shrubs that are blooming in gardens and along the roadside. Cacti are full of buds and some are starting to bloom. And wildflowers are ablaze at the Desert Botanical Garden.

Tufted evening primrose

Tufted evening primrose

Cholla

Cholla

Barrel cacti and desertbells

Barrel cacti and desertbells

Desertbells

Desertbells

Mexican honeysuckle

Mexican honeysuckle

cardon bloom

Blooms atop a cardon cactus.
Cardon cacti are the world’s largest cacti, and are sometimes confused with the similar looking saguaro cactus

Pink fairy duster

Pink fairy duster

cacti blloms

The delicate, vividly-hued blooms on the forbidding cacti plants beautifully symbolize the hope of spring

wildflowers at Desert Botanical Gardens

What signs of spring do you see?

Anna Khan
    March 19, 2014 at 9:57 am

Hello Donna

I really enjoyed your post …..
    I live in Saudi Arabia and you may know it is an unending desert , unfortunately we do not see any such beautiful flowers growing naturally ….
    But i really liked your pictures and first time I came to know about many of names
    thank you for share.

March 20, 2014 at 8:51 am

Thanks Anna. I’ve been told the Sonoran desert is a very diverse desert because of it gets too rainy seasons – a little bit of rain in the winter and a monsoon rain in summer. This winter, there was almost no rain, so few wildflowers are blooming in the wild, although cacti are still sprouting buds. In gardens where additional water has been given, the wildflowers are gorgeous.

20Pat
    March 19, 2014 at 10:23 am

Beautiful flowers. My parents ranch was in the interior of BC and they had cactuses on part of it. The flowers in spring were truly gorgeous.

March 20, 2014 at 8:55 am

I knew the interior of B.C. was a semi-arid zone, but I never thought about cacti growing in it. I love the flowers on cacti. The delicate petals and beautiful colours are such a contrast to the spiny body of the plants.

Terry
    March 19, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Beautiful pics.

paul grahan
    March 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Great shots of Spring Flkwers Donna. Certainly puts me in the mood for Spring.

Jason Butler
    March 19, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Nice pictures. Surprisingly I don’t see many signs of Spring yet here in Atlanta.

March 20, 2014 at 8:56 am

I know there many places in North America where spring still seems far away. I hope you don’t have to wait long.

Susanna
    March 19, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Love the barrel cacti! There are certainly some beautiful plants that thrive in a desert environment

March 20, 2014 at 8:57 am

I agree that there are some beautiful plants in the desert. They seem ever more amazing when you learn how they survive, propagate, and conserve water.

March 19, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Oh My! This was such a beautiful sight today…it’s cold an rainy where I am. I mean…you really made my day Donna! Beautiful pictures!

March 20, 2014 at 8:57 am

Thanks Jacquie. The rain where you are should help with future blooms there.

March 19, 2014 at 5:32 pm

We visited the Garden a couple weeks ago. It’s different every time. The Chihuly exhibit was amazing too.

March 20, 2014 at 8:59 am

I was also at the Garden two weeks before these pictures were taken and was struck by how much had changed in two weeks. It is truly different each time I visit. I am wintering here and taking lots of visitors because of the Chihuly exhibit.

Michele Harvey
    March 19, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Your blog is a breath of fresh air. The photos are beautiful. I live in Northern, Colorado. We had a January that was so extreme, I had to by a SAD light (a light for seasonal affective disorder) due to lack of natural light, which was really beginning to affect me. Now however, the sun is so bright, it almost feels like summer.

March 20, 2014 at 9:00 am

Hope the sunlight is helping your SAD and that spring/summer are on its way for you.

March 19, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I love cactus blooms. Spring is a bit later than usual in Boise, but not by much. I’m headed to Santa Fe in May, so that will be a good change of scenery.

March 20, 2014 at 9:00 am

I too love cactus blooms. Santa Fe should be beautiful in May. Enjoy.

Linda
    March 20, 2014 at 9:15 am

Lovely pictures, Donna and I enjoyed your commentary. You have obviously brought joy to many of your blog readers as evidenced by the comments. Have a really nice Spring day!

Max Ivey
    March 20, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Hello; glad to hear spring is coming somewhere. smile it is still unusually cool in the houston area. but spring means bluebonnets in texas. It also will bring indian paintbrush. then the crape myrtles will blume. or at least i hope so. I’m starting to wonder. thanks for sharing. I am blind so can’t appreciate the photos. but I am sure they are beautiful and will have all of your readers thinking of spring and summer. take care, max

March 21, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I LOVE your flower pictures. We too have had a very difficult winter with little rain. We are now thrown into an early spring with dead orchards and brown hills. it is a very sad state. 🙂

Christina
    March 22, 2014 at 1:48 am

Such beautiful and vibrant colors which must starkly contrast the dry, monotone colors of the desert. For us in western Washington, the cherry blossoms are just starting. It’s daffodil season and the famous tulip festival starts next month and I can’t wait to go. It’s my yearly tradition 🙂

TUHIN
    March 25, 2014 at 8:02 am

Lovely! Spring has started in this part of the world too (North east India)! After months of dry winter finally the time has come to get drenched in the rain!