Granville Island

May 13, 2015

Granville Island entrance

A once declining industrial area in the 1970s,
Granville Island is now a top Vancouver tourist attraction

Today, Granville Island contains unique shops offering a variety of goods, including unusual trinkets, souvenirs, locally designed clothing, kitchen wares, home decor items, books, crystals and high-end art. The island is small and easy to walk around, making for a pleasant day or afternoon of strolling and browsing. There are several restaurant choices. A number of theatres draw arts lovers. Festivals, such as the Vancouvers Writers Fest, are held here.

Granville Island shops

A few of the shops on the island

The history of Granville Island dates back to the 1800s. It began as two sandbars on the tidal flats of False Creek, an inlet in the heart of Vancouver, British Columbia that separates the downtown from the rest of the city. False Creek was then more than twice the size it is now. A rickety wooden bridge spanned the sandbars. In 1909 a second Granville Street bridge was built, this one of steel. In 1935, a 35-acre reclamation project began, a project in which almost a million cubic yards of fill were dredged from False Creek to create a land area under the bridge. The first tenants were businesses servicing the forest, mining, construction and shipping sectors. The original name was “industrial island”, but the name that stuck came from the overhead bridge.

Granville Island was a booming industrial area in the early 1900s. At its height in 1930, 1,200 people worked here, most arriving by streetcar. The Great Depression ended the boom and several sawmills closed. A shantytown emerged. The island experienced a secondary boom during World War II, but demand for industrial output declined postwar. Sawmills and factories became fire traps. False Creek, once a fertile fishing area, was a toxic sewer. The island’s inner city location was no longer attractive to industrialists. In the 1970s, a plan emerged to turn the space into a people-friendly place with various uses, from parkland to housing to public exhibition space.

on walkway to Granville Island

Today’s view walking into Granville Island

Gravnille Island murals

Murals on cement factory silos, one of the few industries still on the island

Granville Island Market

Assorted images from The Public Market

A large building on the island houses Granville Island Public Market. Assorted stalls carry fresh produce, baked treats and homemade products. One aisle contains artisan and craft vendors. There is also a food court, where one can have lunch or a snack. If you choose to take your food outside to eat on the boardwalk, a sign warns you to watch that seagulls don’t try to steal your food.

Granville Island entertainers

Street entertainers can be found at various places on the island

Ducks on Granville Island

This pair of ducks seemed to be enjoying the music from one of the entertainers

Granville Island view

Part of the charm of the island is its setting and views of Vancouver’s skyline

Granville Island is accessible by car. Parking is available, but limited. The island is geared to pedestrians and drivers are warned to be careful. You can also get there by bus, by foot, by bicycle, by aquabus (in the summer) and by the False Creek Ferry. The Granville Island website contains more detail on how to get there.

Granville Island

PIN IT

Granville Island is a top Vancouver tourist attraction with waterfront restaurants. theatres, galleries, unique shops and a fresh food market. #Vancouver #BritishColumbia #Canada

May 14, 2015 at 8:12 am

Never heard of Granville Island! It looks and sounds like a perfectly charming place. I need to get to Vancouver. You’ve shown me so many cool places here:)

May 14, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Jacquie, Granville Island is charming and there are indeed many cool places in Vancouver.

Safariontheblog
    May 16, 2015 at 3:05 am

Me too, Never heard of Granville Island.
    It’s beautiful place! Great photos as well.
    Thanks for me taking me along Donna x

May 16, 2015 at 9:56 am

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Phoenicia
    May 17, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Granville Island sounds like it is buzzing- street entertainers, various markets and the boats. Is it as clean as the photographs show?

May 18, 2015 at 8:51 am

Phoenicia, it actually has been pretty clean the times I’ve visited.

May 17, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I only recently came across the descriptive term post-industrial. It was used to describe cities in the U.S. that had reinvented themselves after being depressed because of the disappearance of the industry that dominated the economy. So I guess you could call Glanville a post-industrial island. Whatever, it looks like a pretty nice place to spend a day.

May 18, 2015 at 8:52 am

Ken, the term post-industrial is new to me too, but it does seem like a good fit. I can think of a few places that term would apply to.

lenie5860
    May 18, 2015 at 3:06 am

Donna, I really enjoyed this trip. Your photos are wonderful and descriptive. I love the very first one, the murals on the silos, the market and is that a little tourist boat in the bottom picture? I would love a ride on it. I also think the street musicians would add just the right “I’m enjoying this” touch. Too bad it’s 3000km or more away.

May 18, 2015 at 8:53 am

Thanks Lenie. The boat in the photo isn’t a real boat – I think it is more of a play structure. But there are other places on the island to catch a boat ride.

Catarina Alexon
    May 18, 2015 at 6:27 am

Have to admit I have never even heard of Granville Island. But it looks and sounds like a nice place.

May 18, 2015 at 8:54 am

Thanks Catarina.

heraldmarty
    May 19, 2015 at 7:37 am

I’ve been to Vancouver a few times but don’t recall hearing about Granville Island. This looks like just the kind of place I like to get lost in for an afternoon!

May 19, 2015 at 8:49 am

Maybe you’ll get to Granville Island on your next visit to Vancouver and get lose an afternoon there.

May 19, 2015 at 12:25 pm

I hadn’t heard of Granville Island. It looks like a fun place to visit. I really like the Murals on cement factory silos. Very funny and bright.

May 20, 2015 at 5:06 am

Beth, I love coming across unexpected murals and art like that on the cement factory silos.

May 20, 2015 at 11:02 am

This is the first I’ve heard of Granville Island. It looks like a really nice place to visit for a long weekend. I love the street musicians and, of course, those fun silos.

May 22, 2015 at 10:00 am

Erica, Granville Island is a fun place to visit. Some of the street musicians I saw on my latest visits had very unusual acts. Quite entertaining.

May 20, 2015 at 11:15 am

What a wonderful place. I enjoyed the history you gave of the Island. I would like to visit it sometime.

May 22, 2015 at 10:01 am

Thanks William. I always like to find out a little of the history of places I visit. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

Jason B
    May 20, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Grantville Island looks like a very nice tourist attraction.

May 22, 2015 at 10:02 am

Jason, thanks for stopping by. Granville Island makes for a pleasant afternoon.or day.

Tim
    May 21, 2015 at 6:53 pm

I have been to Vancouver only once and remember it as gorgeous. I don’t know if I made it to Granville Island but as I read your post I did have small bells go off in my head so am thinking I made it there; I usually gravitate towards water and islands so it wouldn’t surprise me.

May 22, 2015 at 10:03 am

Tim, perhaps you did indeed visit Granville Island. Vancouver is a beautiful city.