Restaurant On The Bridge

August 26, 2015

restaurant-bridge

Winnipeg restaurant Mon Ami Louis offers French-inspired cuisine
on pedestrian bridge Esplanade Riel

(Last Updated August 2019)

Esplanade Riel, constructed in 2003, is a pedestrian bridge crossing the Red River and connecting Winnipeg, Manitoba’s downtown with the St. Boniface area, known as Winnipeg’s French quarter. The design is eye-catching, but there is something else unique about the bridge. There is a restaurant on it. I’ve read it is the only bridge in North America with a restaurant.

Mon Ami Louis Brasserie Restaurant serves classic and contemporary French flavours. Mon Ami Louis, part of Wow Hospitality Concepts, which owns several Winnipeg restaurants, is open for brunch, lunch, and dinner through the summer months and available for rentals the rest of the year.

Mon Louis Ami

Restaurant on the bridge

Mon Ami Louis opened in 2015 under the helm of Chef Luc Jean and featured menu items such as flamées, crêpes, and local fried fish. The menu has evolved since then and there is a new chef, Claire Snowball, but they continue to focus of French flavours.

Interior of Mon Ami Louis

Interior of Mon Ami Louis

I first ate at the restaurant shortly after it opened. The restaurant has a relaxed, comfortable feel. Service was quick (being early for the dinner crowd, the restaurant was not very busy) and the food was good. Prices are moderate.

Buckwheat crepes at Mon Ami Louis

I enjoyed my buckwheat crepes with chicken, asparagus and Brie

One of the greatest appeals is the location. It was relaxing to look over the river as I ate (even if I had the occasional dizzy spell from watching the moving water).

View of St. Boniface from Mon Ami Louis

View of St. Boniface from Mon Ami Louis

Water taxi on the Red River

Watching the water taxi

Mon Ami Louis is the third restaurant to occupy this space. Running a restaurant on a bridge has its challenges. The $1 million cost to bring water, sewer, phone lines, and other fibre optics onto the bridge was the subject of some controversy during construction. The first was Salisbury House. Sals, as it is commonly known, is a Winnipeg chain known for its hearty breakfasts, burgers called “nips”, and comfort food. After seven years on the bridge, the lease for that location was not renewed.  Other locations remain open in Winnipeg. Chez Sophie was the second restaurant. The owners closed up shop in under a year citing the “extraordinary expense relating to a restaurant on a bridge.” The unique location did not get much business in winter months.

Mon Ami Louis has been open on the bridge for several years and hopefully the “brasserie sur la pont” will continue for many more years. It is a unique and beautiful location to relax and dine with friends.

PIN IT

Winnipeg restaurant Mon Ami Louis Brasserie Restaurant offers French-inspired cuisine on pedestrian bridge Esplanade Riel #Winnipeg #Manitoba #restaurant

August 27, 2015 at 6:16 am

This looks so fabulous! I don’t think I have seen anything like it! Oh I do hope that they hit the right formula for success…be a shame to waste that location. Nothing like eating with a water view:)

August 27, 2015 at 9:48 am

Jacquie, it is an interesting location.

Susan Moore
    August 27, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Cool! I think a restaurant on the bridge is a great idea! Great views and it’s a fine excuse to go for a walk – you know there’s food and drink along the way.

August 29, 2015 at 4:30 am

Susan, it is an interesting (and scenic) location.

August 30, 2015 at 10:23 am

Beautiful scenery and it certainly seems like it has all the right ingredients to make it a success. I’d love to try that buckwheat crepe! Anita

August 30, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Anita, I quite enjoyed my buckwheat crepe.

Karen Warren
    August 31, 2015 at 8:49 am

I love the idea of a restaurant on a bridge – what great views to have while you’re eating. And I like the look of the food too, especially that buckwheat crepe.

August 31, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Karen, I too like the idea of a restaurant on a bridge. Thanks for stopping by.

santafetraveler
    August 31, 2015 at 9:16 am

Love your Manitoba food posts. This is the first restaurant on a bridge I’ve heard about. Hope three’s the charm!

August 31, 2015 at 2:11 pm

I guess time will tell how well the restaurant does. The menu is interesting and varied and the prices are reasonable.

Noel Morata (@emorata)
    August 31, 2015 at 9:59 am

Well I would definitely visit the restaurant for a lovely meal with those views, even in wintertime

August 31, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Noel, it appears there aren’t enough people like you willing to go there in winter. I think part of the issue is reduced foot traffic on the bridge and less stop ins.

carolcolborn
    August 31, 2015 at 10:51 am

What a lovely idea! Where do you park your car and how far do you have to walk to get there? I agree with Noel. Given that the answers to my questions are ok, then yes I would go during the winter, too!

August 31, 2015 at 2:17 pm

You can park on a side street on the St. Boniface side of the bridge or in one of the lots at the Forks. In both cases, the walk would be 5 to 10 minutes, depending on exactly where you found a spot.

travelnwrite
    August 31, 2015 at 3:26 pm

What a perfect setting for a restaurant! I’d love to try Mon Amis Louis one day. Great post Donna.

September 1, 2015 at 9:32 am

Thanks.

MoreTimeToTravel (@MoreTime2Travel)
    August 31, 2015 at 5:20 pm

What a fascinating venue. The views must be great. Sure hope this latest carnation succeeds where others have failed.

September 1, 2015 at 9:38 am

Thanks. I hope so too.

MoreTimeToTravel (@MoreTime2Travel)
    August 31, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Oops! That should have been “incarnation”…

betsywuebker
    August 31, 2015 at 11:18 pm

What an innovative idea! I, too, wondered about parking. It seems like they’ve got a great plan to deal with the slower public season and it would be a lovely venue for a special reception or group at that time. (Plus, you could shuttle your guests!)

September 1, 2015 at 9:40 am

Betsy, I think it would make a lovely venue for a private reception.

Johanna
    September 1, 2015 at 8:01 pm

What a wonderful spot for a restaurant. Mon Ami Louis looks divine and so too does the view. Yep, I’d like to have a meal here 🙂

September 2, 2015 at 7:35 am

Johanna, I also think it’s a great spot for a restaurant.

Denis Gagnon
    September 1, 2015 at 9:44 pm

I enjoyed reading your description of the restaurant on the bridge, but I can’t help but wonder about the economic viability of the venture. Lacking a large amount of foot traffic and with, I assume, no parking option on the bridge, I would think that the restaurant will need to remain a destination in itself in order to survive. Thanks for a fascinating story!

September 2, 2015 at 7:39 am

Dennis, as I understand it restaurants can be a tough financial venture in general. The location on the bridge, while attractive and interesting, poses some unique challenges to economic viability. You are right about no parking on the bridge and the restaurant will need to become a destination in itself in order to survive. Not being open during the winter and using the venue for private receptions during that time period may help.

Suzanne Fluhr
    September 3, 2015 at 3:49 pm

It does seem that the new owners will have to turn the restaurant into a destination unto itself—not somewhere you pop into for dinner. Having said that, it does seem like an interesting venue. I’m not clear on the parking situation at either end of the bridge, but it could be an attractive special event venue if they can figure out a way to get people with mobility problems there. Golf carts for the grandparents of the bride and groom?

September 4, 2015 at 10:18 am

Suzanne, it actually isn’t very far to walk from the nearest parking lots. Perhaps equivalent to a city block (or block and a half). Golf carts are a nice idea for people with mobility problems. Maybe the’d need skis on them in the winter.

Bob
    June 27, 2016 at 11:13 am

Friends from Australia had a terrible time there. Horrible service and mediocre food. I was embarrassed.

June 28, 2016 at 8:30 am

Bob, what a shame your Australian friends had such a terrible time. My experience was quite different than theirs.