Sea to Sky Highway

August 24, 2016

Sea to Sky Highway

The scenic road from Horseshoe Bay to Whistler on the west coast of British Columbia makes for a great day trip from Vancouver

The Sea to Sky Highway has to be one of the world’s most beautiful drives. Highway 99 is a 135 kilometre road running along British Columbia’s west coast between Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver and Pemberton. The drive offers mountain scenery, ocean vistas and lovely stops along the way. In May, I travelled this road with my husband and daughter as far as Whistler,  32 kilometres south of Pemberton. It was truly spectacular.

Horsehoe Bay, at the start of the Sea to Sky Highway in British Columbia

Horseshoe Bay

Horseshoe Bay is on the western tip of West Vancouver at the entrance to Howe Sound. It is the western end of the mainland portion of Canada’s cross-country highway, Highway One. A ferry terminal offers service from here to Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast and Bowen Island. Horseshoe Bay is a picturesque town with charming shops and restaurants. We bypassed Horseshoe Bay on our May drive, but I have visited Horseshoe Bay in the past. One could easily spend the entire afternoon here, wandering the shops and enjoying the view over a leisurely meal or drink.

Horseshoe Bay propeller fountain

Fountain in Horsehoe Bay made from an old ship propeller

Porteau Cove on the Sea to Sky Highway in British Columbia

We did stop at Porteau Cove, a provincial park on the eastern shore of Howe Sound, the most southerly fjord in North America. A wide diversity of marine life can be found here. Signs posted on the railing of the pier highlight some of it. The area is popular with scuba divers. Special facilities have been built for them with sunken ships and artificial reefs. The area has a boat launch, picnic tables and public washrooms. The Provincial Park has waterfront campsites and a pebbly beach.

Britannia Mine Museum along the Sea to Sky Highway in British Columbia

Britannia Mine Museum

The community of Britannia Beach is home to the Britannia Mine Museum, a National Historic site. The mine was operated by Howe Sound Company and subsidiary Britannia Mining and Smelting Company from 1904 to 1963, and by Anaconda Copper Company from 1963 to 1974. Copper, zinc, lead, cadmium, silver and gold ores were extracted from the mine. Mining ceased in 1974 because economically-feasible ores had been depleted.

The museum contains historical machinery, heritage buildings and exhibits highlighting the social history of the mining industry. An underground tour, similar to what miners in 1914 would have taken, is available. We stopped in Britannia Beach for a short while, but did not visit the mine. The mine receives high ratings from visitors, but the one to two hours recommended to tour the museum did not fit into this day’s schedule.

Crystal store in Britannia Beachm along the Sea to Sky Highway

We did stop at the charming store across the street. (My daughter is always on the lookout for interesting crystal shops.)

Squamish, British Columbia

Squamish

The town of Squamish is nestled within magnificent mountain views. Forestry has traditionally been the town’s main industry. Logging continues to be important, but tourism is an increasing part of business in Squamish. The town has a diverse arts and culture scene, and offers a variety of recreational activities. The ten minute Sea to Sky Gondola ride to a summit point 885 metres above sea level is a popular attraction. We chose to take a leisurely browse through the shops and enjoy lunch at one of the many restaurants in town.

Whistler, British Columbia

Whistler

Whistler is best known as a ski resort. It was the ski area and host mountain resort for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. Whistler also has a lot to offer in the summer. The alpine village, containing shops, galleries, spas, bars and restaurants, stays open year-round. There are beach and recreational areas for hiking, biking, rafting, boating, horseback riding and more. We spent a couple of hours wandering the village and could easily have lingered longer.

Whistler has an interesting history. The Coast Salish First Nations people lived on the land for thousands of years. Trappers and prospectors settled in the area around 1900. The original name Alta Lake was changed to Whistler because of the shrill sound made by western hoary marmots living in the rocks. In 1914, Alex and Myrtle Phillip built Rainbow Lodge and it became a popular resort destination. Over the next decades, other lodges opened. Whistler became a popular summer destination. It wasn’t until the 1960s, after road improvements made winter travel possible and a group of Vancouver businessmen decided to develop a ski area, that Whistler became a winter destination. Today, Whistler is a year-round destination.

View from Tantalus Lookout on Sea to Sky Highway

View from Tantalus Lookout on Sea to Sky Highway south of Whistler

Other possible stops along the Sea to Sky Highway include the community of Lion’s Bay, Murrin Provincial Park, Shannon Falls Provincial Park, Alice Lake Provincial Park, Garibaldi Provincial Park and Brandywine Provincial Park. There are numerous hiking trails. And an opportunity to golf amid spectacular scenery at Furry Creek. A map of the highway and its stops can be found here.

With all the beautiful possibilities for stops along the way, your Sea to Sky Highway drive can be as active or as leisurely as you choose. Either way, it will be scenic and well worth your time, but remember this is a mountain road. Rain, snow and wildlife can affect driving conditions. Winter tires are required between October and March.

Have you driven the Sea to Sky Highway? Do you have a favourite stop?

Along the Sea to Sky Highway

Along the Sea to Sky Highway

PIN ITSea To Sky Highway in British Columbia: a scenic drive

Destinations Detours and Dreams monthly e-newsletter contains behind the scenes information, sneak peeks ahead, travel story recaps and more.  SIGN UP HERE

August 24, 2016 at 8:33 am

I’ve not made this drive but I’ve heard about it from friends who have. Your pictures are spectacular! And I do love a scenic drive!

August 26, 2016 at 9:34 am

Thanks Jacquie. This drive is definitely scenic.

RoseMary Griffith
    August 26, 2016 at 6:12 am

Sounds like a lovely way to spend a day or more exploring the coastline. The mine museum would be super interesting.

August 26, 2016 at 9:35 am

RoseMary, the museum does sound interesting. I’m intrigued by the underground tour but not sure I could handle it – I have a bit of claustrophobia.

Linda Fairbairn
    August 29, 2016 at 8:28 am

I have driven the Sea to Sky but only by bus where you don’t get the options of where to stop!
    I therefore loved reading this and seeing your photos of what there is to do along the way – as it truly is one of the most scenic drives… and even not stopping – I have to say, I loved it 😀

August 29, 2016 at 10:53 am

Linda, I agree that the drive is scenic and lovely even if you don’t stop along the way.

Jackie Smith
    August 29, 2016 at 8:53 am

Living just ‘down the road’ in Seattle we are only hours away from this highway and have traveled it and other highways in British Columbia. You are correct – it is beautiful – next time try the Sunshine Coast or head over to Tofino – more stunning scenery waiting for you there, Donna!

August 29, 2016 at 10:55 am

Jackie, I have been to Tofino (and Ucluelet). The drive around Vancouver Island is beautiful. I have not made it to the Sunshine Coast yet.

August 29, 2016 at 8:59 am

I can easily imagine spending several days exploring the various towns along the Sea to Sky Highway – spectacular scenery and I’d love to learn more about the history of this area! We really need to move Canada to a top spot on our “Bucket List” and this drive will definitely have to be included. Thanks for the recommendation! Anita

August 29, 2016 at 10:56 am

Anita, while many do this drive as a day trip, you could easily make several days out of it. Especially if you want to hike or camp along the way.

Jan
    August 29, 2016 at 9:58 am

As soon as I saw the title of your post, I thought, “I think I’ve been there/done that”. Yes, 20 years ago, I drove from Vancouver to Whistler and I think I stopped in Squamish. I also went hiking….somewhere. Can’t remember. It was a lovely journey and going back to Vancouver I took the scenic train.

August 29, 2016 at 10:58 am

Jan, there are a lot of parks along this route to hike so I’m not surprised to hear you went hiking.

travelwithmarilyn
    August 29, 2016 at 10:01 am

The Sea to Sky Highway looks so beautiful!! I have never followed it, but if I get the opportunity, I will!!

August 29, 2016 at 10:58 am

Marilyn, it is a beautiful drive.

Catherine Sweeney
    August 29, 2016 at 10:44 am

I haven’t spent near enough time in British Columbia. I love the looks of the Sea to Sky Highway – what a great getaway. I might have an opportunity to get up that way soon, Thanks for the introduction and inspiration.

August 29, 2016 at 10:59 am

Thanks Catherine.

santafetraveler
    August 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm

BC is high on our to-go list (hub lived there for a while before we met) and we love driving, ocean and great views. The Sea to Sky Highway just went on the itinerary!

August 29, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Billie, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the drive.

The GypsyNesters
    August 30, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I know it’s crazy, but driving to Alaska has been on my bucket list for years. Maybe I could add this to it.

August 31, 2016 at 7:45 am

Veronica, I think the drive to Alaska would be very interesting and beautiful. Decades ago I did a day drive from Whitehouse, Yukon to Skagway, Alaska (which is as far into Alaska as I’ve ever been) and I still remember it as breathtaking.

Noel Morata (@emorata)
    August 31, 2016 at 1:19 pm

That is one pretty drive and I do love those smaller towns to drop into and explore. This is definitely on my list to visit someday, lovely tour

August 31, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Noel, it is indeed a pretty drive.

Debbra Dunning Brouillette
    September 1, 2016 at 3:32 pm

I haven’t been to this part of the world at all! If I can ever stop traveling to the tropics, I’d love to drive the Sea to Sky highway. It looks beautiful!

September 2, 2016 at 9:25 am

Debbra, it is a beautiful part of the world, but I can also understand the pull of the tropics.