Arizona Lighthouses

June 1, 2014

Lake Havasu lighthouse kiosk

Lake Havasu Lighthouses information kiosk in London Bridge Park

Working replicas of famous lighthouses on Lake Havasu, Arizona

Arizona is a land-locked state and not often associated with lighthouses, but Lake Havasu City in Arizona is home to more lighthouses than any other city in the United States. The fully functional lighthouses are one-third scale replicas of famous East Coast, West Coast, and Great Lakes lighthouses.

A group of Lake Havasu City boaters formed the Lake Havasu Lighthouse Club in 2000 to address the need for navigation aids on Lake Havasu’s twists and bends.

The first lighthouse replica was of West Quoddy Lighthouse in Lubec, Maine. The replica replaced an existing navigational aid and was dedicated in June, 2002. Today 22 lighthouse replicas exist, with plans for an additional 5 to be built.

Lake Havasu Currituck Beach lighthouse replica

Currituck Beach Lighthouse replica. The original is on North Carolina’s Outer Banks.

Lake Havasu Wind Point lighthouse replica

Wind Point Lighthouse replica. The original is 3.5 miles north of Racine, Wisconsin on the shores of Lake Michigan.

All of the lighthouses on the west side of Lake Havasu are replicas of West Coast lighthouses while those on the east side are replicas of East Coast lighthouses. The lighthouses around the island are replicas of Great Lakes lighthouses. As per coast guard navigational regulations, lighthouses on the west coast use a green beacon and lighthouses on the east coast use a red beacon.

lake Havasu Algoma Pierhead lighthouse replica

Algoma Pierhead Lighthouse replica. The original is on the shores of Lake Michigan at Algoma, Wisconsin.

Lake Havasu Vermillion lighthouse replica

Vermillion Lighthouse replica. The original is on the shore of Lake Erie at Vermillion, Ohio.

A map of lighthouse locations is available at Lake Havasu City Visitor Center at the foot of London Bridge. 11 lighthouses are accessible by land. The others may be seen from the lake.

Lake Havasu Split Rock lighthouse replica

Split Rock Lighthouse replica. The original is located on the North Shore of Lake Superior near Two Harbors, Minnesota.

Have you seen Lake Havasu City’s lighthouses? Have you seen any of the originals? In addition to the ones I’ve highlighted in my pictures, replicas include West Quoddy, Cape Hatteras, Robert H. Manning, Main Buffalo, Sandy Hook, Table Bluff, East Quoddy, Alpena, Mount Desert Rock, Barnegat, Berwick, White Shoals, Umpqua, Portland Head, Fire Island, Chicago Harbor Navy Pier, and Gray’s Harbor Light.

PIN ITLighthouses at Lake Havasu, Arizona: one-third scale working replicas of famous lighthouses
This post is part of Travel Photo Mondays on Travel Photo Discovery.

Paul Graham
    June 1, 2014 at 8:21 am

Hi Donna. Yes, I had the pleasure of seeing several of the Lake Havasu area lighthouses. I think these are a great idea. With all of the recent lighthouse closures on Canada’s coasts it would be good to see something similar here. I read recently about a Brit who is making smaller replicas of some Nova Scotia lighthouses. Hopefully it will catch on !

June 1, 2014 at 10:32 am

Hi Paul. I’d like to see those Nova Scotia lighthouse replicas. The building of the replicas requires people dedicated enough to put up money for it. In Lake Havasu City, each new lighthouse is sponsored by someone or some group.

Michele Harvey
    June 1, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I never knew about the many lighthouse replicas in Lake Havasu City. Your photos of the lighthouses against the backdrop of mountains and palm trees are really beautiful.

June 2, 2014 at 11:04 am

Thanks Michele. It is a beautiful setting for these replicas.

flattiresandslowboats.com
    June 1, 2014 at 3:27 pm

What a great way to integrate a pragmatic solution with an artistic one. These lighthouses serve both. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

June 2, 2014 at 11:06 am

I agree it is a good combination of art and function.

Laurie S Hurley
    June 1, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I had no clue Arizona has so many lighthouses! And I live in California, right next door. Should have known that – a good piece of trivia. I used to live on Cape Cod and my running route would take me by a beautiful lighthouse overlooking Buzzard’s Bay. This brought that sensation back to me for a moment. Beautiful pictures.

June 2, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thanks Laurie. There is something appealing about lighthouses, isn’t there?

Patricia Weber
    June 1, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Almost tied with our area with this number! In North Carolina and Virginia. Who knew. We have one lighthouse that was closed and a couple bought it to live in it as a house. Your post reminded me to check into just how that worked out. It’s been about a year or more.

Thanks.

Over from LinkedIn group BHB

June 2, 2014 at 11:10 am

It would be interesting to see how the lighthouse to home conversion worked out.

Kumar Gauraw
    June 1, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Hi Donna,

I never knew about the any of these lighthouse or the Lake Havasu City itself. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures. Some of them look so beautiful.

Regards,
    Kumar

June 2, 2014 at 11:10 am

Thanks Kumar. Lake Havasu City is a pretty spot.

Lenie
    June 2, 2014 at 6:29 am

Hi Donna – I find it wonderful that people are creative and dedicated enough to build these replicas. I live just east of Lake Huron in Ontario and we have a number of lighthouses placed along the shore of the lake. I always enjoy seeing them. I also enjoyed seeing your pictures – they are beautiful.
    Lenie

June 2, 2014 at 11:12 am

Thanks Lenie. I also enjoy seeing lighthouses.

Kay Dougherty
    June 2, 2014 at 10:31 am

This was so interesting in the “Whooda Thunk It”? category! It’s such a clever idea. I lived in New England and have seen many of the east coast “real” lighthouses but if I find myself in Arizona I will definitely look this place up. Thanks!

June 2, 2014 at 11:13 am

It is a clever idea, especially because all the replicas are working lighthouses.

William A. Butler
    June 2, 2014 at 10:37 am

Hi Donna,
    Thanks for a beautiful post! I love learning. I had no idea of all the lightouses in Arizona. I like the contrast of mountain and lighthouse in the Algoma Pierhead photo. We were through Kingman on through to Sedona nearly 2 years ago, so we did not venture into the Lake Havasu or the Grand Canyon area. I’ve seen a number of interesting lighthouses in Michigan, but my all-time favorite is Peggy’s Cove, Nova Scotia.

Kind Regards,
    Bill

June 2, 2014 at 11:13 am

Thanks Bill. I too love Peggy’s Cove lighthouse.

Arleen
    June 2, 2014 at 11:23 am

I have never seen Lake Havasu City’s lighthouses. I do love to go and visit lighthouses along the eastern seaboard. They fascinate me. We stayed at a hotel in Rhode Island where the lighthouse was close by and beacon of light lulled me to sleep

June 2, 2014 at 12:44 pm

It’s good that the beacon of light lulled you to sleep rather than keeping you up. I suspect some people might have had that issue.

santafetraveler
    June 2, 2014 at 12:08 pm

How cool! I love lighthouses. Seeing them in AZ would be a bit strange.

June 2, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Certainly not what I would have expected in AZ either, but pretty cool to see.

Jackie and Joel Smith
    June 2, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Oh Donna, This is great. I would never have put lighthouses and Arizona in the same thought pattern or sentence. Love your post~

June 2, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Thanks. Lighthouses and Arizona don’t seem to belong together, do they?

Carole Terwilliger Meyers
    June 2, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I’ve heard about these lighthouses but never actually seen them. Thanks for taking me there! Here’s an original California lighthouse not mentioned, that you can spend the night in, http://weekendadventuresupdate.blogspot.com/2014/03/greater-east-bay-richmond-east-brother.html

June 2, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Carole. East Brother Light Station looks and sounds like a fun adventure.

Mina Joshi
    June 2, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I wasn’t aware of any light houses being built inland away from the sea. They must look impressive .

June 2, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Lake Havasu City sits along the shores of Lake Havasu, a lake created by dams in the Colorado River. Apparently, there are some twists and bends in the lake that make navigation tricky – hence the need for the lighthouses.

Irene S. Levine
    June 2, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Thanks for sharing. Arizona would have definitely been the last place I would have looked for lighthouses!

June 3, 2014 at 8:27 am

I didn’t expect that in Arizona either.

Neva Fels
    June 2, 2014 at 8:43 pm

We love visiting lighthouses and being able to see so many in miniature is a great way to get your fix on these buildings. It would be fun to send our family in Wisconsin these photos of Algoma and Racine’s replicas for a chuckle.

June 3, 2014 at 8:29 am

Yes, it would be interesting to hear what people who live close to one of the original lighthouses think of the replicas.

June 2, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Oh WOW, I never knew these existed. They are absolutely wonderful. When I find myself in these areas I do plan on going to see them. Thank you so much for sharing this. :-)))

A Taste for Travel
    June 3, 2014 at 8:05 am

Lighthouses in Arizona…what a unique idea yet how perfectly they seem to fit into the desert landscape. They look as desolate and evocative as they do on water’s edge.

June 3, 2014 at 8:30 am

There is definitely something evocative about lighthouses.

June 3, 2014 at 9:57 am

How cool! I live in Arizona but haven’t visited Lake Havasu lately. I’ll put the lighthouse replicas on my list of fun things to see. Great pictures!

June 3, 2014 at 3:50 pm

It’s fun to seek out the lighthouses. I only managed to see a few of time. Some are only visible from on the lake.

Julie Conway
    June 3, 2014 at 10:02 am

Never would have thought about lighthouses in Arizona. Interesting article.

Crystal
    June 3, 2014 at 10:09 am

Hi I live in tempe Arizona and never knew there where light houses in lake Havasu. So cool and great way of explaining it! 🙂

June 3, 2014 at 3:51 pm

The lighthouses are pretty cool! Thanks Crystal.

June 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

This is one of the most interesting posts I have read this week! I had no idea! I lived in Wisconsin for 18 years and had a home in Northern Wisconsin as well… I drove through Algoma every weekend! I think it such a wonderful idea to do these replicas as a creative way to meet a real need. These pictures took me back….thanks so much for entertaining me this morning:)

June 3, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Jacquie. The replicas are a creative way to meet a real need.

June 3, 2014 at 2:12 pm

How fun! Your title really caught my attention – who would have thought AZ would have lighthouses? I’m fascinated by lighthouses, since I live in a landlocked state as well. The only one I’ve seen up close is in Oregon.

June 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I live in the middle of the Canadian prairies so I also don’t see many lighthouses on a daily basis, but I find them fascinating as well.

Anita Oliver
    June 3, 2014 at 5:56 pm

What a creative and picturesque solution to address a safety problem! I love lighthouses and one of my favorites is in Astoria, Oregon.

dukestewart
    June 3, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Wow, so cool to recreate lighthouses from other places. I also live near the water and this post has made me wonder about the purposes and locations of each one in my own city. Thank you for sharing this. You might’ve just inspired a post from me on a similar topic. I hope you don’t mind.

June 4, 2014 at 8:19 am

I would love to read about the lighthouses in your city.

Derrick Coyle
    June 4, 2014 at 9:02 am

Well that’s something learned for the day. I’ve always wanted to visit Arizona but I would have been a long time guessing this particular claim to fame! Thanks Donna, I enjoyed the read and photos of these beautiful lighthouse lights.

Jason Butler
    June 4, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Who would have though AZ has all those lighthouses? That’s pretty cool.

June 4, 2014 at 5:18 pm

They’re fun to seek out when touring around the city.

June 4, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I have never been to Lake Havasu, but have heard lots of good things about it. Although I’ve never heard of any good chocolate makers there! Interesting how they have so many lighthouses!

June 4, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I was only in Lake Havasu City for a short time, but I never heard of or saw any chocolate makers.

Kinda Zennish
    June 5, 2014 at 6:55 am

I lived most of my life in Arizona and I have never heard of Lake Havasu City’s lighthouses! I wish I had when I was out there, I’ve never seen a light house.

June 6, 2014 at 7:11 am

The first lighthouse replica was dedicated in 2002. All the lighthouses have been built in the 14 years since then, so they are a relatively recent thing.

Ilaria
    June 7, 2014 at 10:28 am

Hi Donna, I’ve seen only sea lighthouses. I love them all cause they’re very romantic and fascinating! In Italy there are some lighthouses offers as a B&B, a very nice kind of accomodation 🙂

June 7, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I’d love to stay in a B&B in a lighthouse.

June 7, 2014 at 4:31 pm

you have a knack for highlighting detail that many of us overlook. The replicas are clever additions.

June 7, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Thanks. The replicas, if you are able to get close enough to them, have information about the original lighthouse posted on the side.